Banner showing raft-up

2010 Field Report

As reported by Roger Karlbach

Day 1 - Saturday, July 24 - Port Jefferson

Actually most of us began on  Friday, either with a delicious dinner at the Club and sleeping aboard or by heading out to Oyster Bay in order to divide the 36 plus miles scheduled for today into two parts.   Those of us at the Club were entertained by a fireworks show – a big thunderstorm and we worried about the others of us on a hook at Oyster Bay.

Today was a “no wind” day, which suits the power boaters just fine but frustrates the rest of us. Ilene left the mooring at 10:50 am and was on the hook at 4:45. There was a bit of wind before we got to Ex Rocks and it came up on our starboard quarter for the last hour of our  transit of Smithtown Bay and grew as we arrived. But the motor was on the whole way. This provided an illustration of the power of the tide because our speed, with constant rpms, increased from five knots to more than seven, as the tidal current built.

Tonight we are a divided camp. Anchored in the cove just west after the entrance to Port Jeff Bay, before we arrived here, on Ilene were Blast (Odierna) and Sunrise (Rossner). The rest of our fleet are on moorings at the Setauket Yacht Club, , about two miles further south, with launch service to shore. These are: Northstar (Lages), Kerry Ann (Schulman), Frabjous (Lauria and two guests) and Tively (McElwreath). So we are seven boats so far. The Anchorees were invited to join the mooring people for a walk into town for ice cream—via a two mile dink ride; the Rossners have accepted. Tomorrow, in Matinecock, we will all be together for the first time and will hear of the great dinghy adventure.

Day 2 - Sunday, July 25 - Mattituck

We are all here and most of us enjoyed a dip in the pool though some of us did so in the rain. 

The rain also caused us to postpose our planned communal food and drink sharing get together, in favor of dinner: six of us  aboard and ten at the Marina's Touch of Venus (allegedly Venetian cuisine) restaurant.

We each came at our own time: Ilene left at 9:30, a couple of hours before the favorable tide began, tempted by a great wind from the west that rattled our rigging at the anchorage. On the way out of Port Jeff, as we raised the main, we saw Kathy Lew (Lardaro), but if that sighting was accurate (the sailors aboard waved to us but most sailors do) they went from Port Jeff toward a point on the Connecticut coast and did not join us. The promise of a strong broad reaching wind died shortly after we cleared the breakwater, so it was motor sailing again, with brief interludes when the wind gave us up to half a knot extra. We ran Ilene at 2000 rpm and we were overtaken and said hello to Kerry Ann.

We arrived at about 3:15 and Mattamar Marina is very nice with pool and restaurant, but they have trouble giving good instructions to sailors about which side to prepare to tie up to and which slip to enter. But we are all here and all close together except Tively, which was assigned a slip that is a bit of a walk away.

Day 3 - Monday, July 26 - North Cove - Old Saybrook CT

Breakfast on Ilene in North Cove.  Blueberry, peach, banana pancakes prepared by roger After a blissful night's sleep in refreshingly cool weather, we awoke today with a lot of wind. The first two days we had not enough, but today we had too much wind, for most of us. Tively, having run out of vacation time, had planned to sail west, toward home, but returned to Mattituck after only a few miles of beating into 15 knots; they will try again tomorrow. With the wind from the NW, just aft of our beam for the course from Mattituck to Old Saybrook, the power boats, Blast and Northstar, decided to stay put and join us a day later in Watch Hill RI. Frabjous remained for a different reason: excessive flow of water into her bilge, suspected from a stuffing box leak. They were having this attended to by a local mechanic and hopefully they too will rejoin us tomorrow.

The rest of the sailboats worked out compromises between the husbands and wives. Kerry Ann had planned to detach from our cruise and sail to Block Island, but remained for the night in Mattituck with the others there. Sunrise and Ilene transited to North Cove but with less sail that normal. In Ilene's case this meant single reefed main and small jib, and during most of the passage, with winds never exceeding 15 knots and tide assisted ground speed of six to nine knots, 

Roger thought of how the boat could have done much better with full sails, he was happy with the decision when the winds piped up to 25 knots for the last half hour. Then, after furling sails, same ebbing tide that speeded us on most of the journey northeast became our enemy while going up the Connecticut River. 

In North Cove we met up with our eighth boat, Pfat Cat (Eldridge), which had come here the night before, and after wine and snacks aboard her, we had dinner ashore in the new seafood restaurant and planned a breakfast aboard Ilene tomorrow. Between Pfat Cat and Ilene our cuise now has four feline crew members.

Day 4 - Tuesday July 27 - Nappatree Beach, Watch Hill, RI

The weather was beautiful; sunny and warm but not hot, with wind from the west at about ten knots.

The North Cove contingent had turkey bacon and coffee brought by Phat Cat and Sunrise with the fruited pancakes aboard Ilene to start the morning off and slipped our moorings shortly before 11. We started slow and picked up speed as the tide built. Ilene sailed wing on wing for the last hour and a half or so. Sunrise successfully deployed her geneker -- it's maiden flight. Here at Nappatree, we joined Blast, Northstar, and possibly Kerry Ann and Frabjous, though I have not yet seen them. The transit through the long curved channel into Little Narragansett Bay, where we are anchored, was easy because of the lack of the fog that is so often present.

I'm told that some of us dinked to the beach, crossed the dune and enjoyed perhaps the cleanest ocean beach in the northeast. Others went ashore, docked our dinks at the yacht club, deposited garbage there, toured the shops, visited the new Ocean House Hotel and had a drink there. We found that the town has free Tuesday night concert on the lawn of its beachfront park (this week featuring a four piece band called Occidental Gypsy which performed a kind of bluegrass-gypsy music) and listened to the last half hour of it before returning to our boats as the sun set where we prepared our dinners and turned in early.

The hotel was the dowager large yellow Victorian on the hill, facing the sea that was useful to navigators (except in fog). Most of it was torn down and replaced with a newly reconstructed building full of luxury (though mostly small) hotel rooms and condos, with gracious stairways to the sea, croquet lawns, an ornamental herb garden and public rooms. It retained the old name. From its terrace we looked down and seaward and saw all of Block Island and also Montauk Point; our charts had come to life. Someone invested a lot of money in the place, which opened earlier this month. It is rather in a remote place from both New York and Boston. It is still pale yellow so someone who did not observe closely and saw it from the sea, might not notice that it is a different hotel.

Day 5 - Wednesday July 28 - Jamestown RI

A mistake in yesterdays report: Frabjous was in Stonington; very near Watch Hill but not in Watch Hill.

After a cool and peaceful night, today was breezy - up to 20 knots in the late afternoon, from the SW. This made for an exciting and fast sail along the south coast of Rhode Island on a beamy broad starboard reach for Ilene and Sunrise, followed by a dead run from Point Judith to the Conanicut Marina on the east side of Jamestown Island in the middle of Narragansett Bay. Sharp eyed readers of these posts will note that the printed itinerary posted on the Club bulletin board says that we would be anchored in Point Judith Pond, but none of us went there; the flexibility of the Harlem, exemplified. ILENE, Blast and Sunrise are in Jamestown, about a mile and a half from Newport - tomorrow's destination. The switch from Point Judith Pond was motivated by the increased chance of bad weather tomorrow: getting in more distance today so we won't have to slog through the bad stuff tomorrow.

Northstar is already in Newport and Frabjous and Phat Cat are expected there tomorrow.

Highlights of the sail were that Ilene's new davit bar system needs a bit of reengineering to raise the dinghy higher out of the water because when heeled, waves hit the stern tubes of the dinghy causing it to flip sideways. It had to be brought temporarily under control. Sunrise's mishap involved loss of her boat hook which was needed to pick up the mooring here in that they do not have pickup sticks. The boat hook floated away, necessitating assistance from the launch. 

Ashore, some of us walked to the west side of the island on the main East-west street, which led to Dutchman's Harbor, a much less commercial mooring field, followed by dinner at Chopmist Charlie's where the bluefish was as fresh as Jack's and better than the stripped bass.

Day 6 - Thursday July 29 - Newport RI

Addendum to yesterday's report: Dana Lauria of Frabjous was waiting for a launch from the Ida Lewis Yacht Club (named after a famous lighthouse keeper) when he got talking with two old timers, as one does on a cruising vacation. One of them -- ask Dana his name and for a more complete and more accurate account of this experience -- upon learning that he was from City Island, said that he had worked on City Island for Olin Stevens of Sparkman & Stevens. The new friends were a crew member short of the trio needed for their Ensign Class race and shanghaied Dana into service (with apologies to Ellen), regaling him with tales of the Americas Cup racers they had helped Stevens build and that they had crewed on. Such serendipitous things happen to cruisers.

After a windy night, today the bad weather we had feared failed to materialize, except for a few drops.

Present are Blast, Northstar, Frabjous, Sunrise, Phat Cat and Ilene. This is likely to be our largest group because several boats plan to detach in the next few days. 

I spent a few hours in the afternoon watching and talking with "students" restoring wooden boats at the Int'l Yacht Restoration Center. Two years ago in a nautical museum in Bath Maine, I learned that they use trennels (tree nails), one inch dowels, to peg the pieces of a wooden boat together; here I saw them using a huge power drill to make the holes and drive the linseed oiled trennels through adjacent clamped five by five pieces of new white oak to make new ribs for a huge sailboat.

All of us except Frabjous dined at Scales and Shells, after wine and cheese and etc. on Blast. The restaurant is a Harlem tradition in Newport, but while the fish was as good as ever, some of us were offended by the noise level. Miraculously, instead of the traditional half hour wait (they have a "no reservations" policy), they welcomed us in with no wait at all. Our three PC's, Ernie Modern, Bruce Lages, and Stu Rogan who is visiting aboard Blast for a couple of nights, sat at one table. The rest of us were joined by Hadley and Susan Rood, former Harlemites who now live 20 minutes north of here and sail their Pearson 31, Vagula, out of the Bristol YC, which is our next stop. Dave Eldridge, our camera man on this voyage, took photos that will be up on the web site version of these reports.

Then, on the way back to our boats, each party stopped at his or her favorite ice cream store.

Day 7 -  Friday July 30 - Newport RI

We awoke from a calm cool night to a warm sunny day. This was a lay day -- no travel -- a day to fix things and for each to explore his or her interests.

Susan Rood used her land boat (a/k/a car) to ferry Camille Odierna, Barbara Rogan and Ilene Karlebach on a tour of area highlights featuring Rough Point, the home of the late Doris Duke. She lived in a museum of precious art and still had enough money to fund a huge foundation for the arts and other worthy causes (and four other mansions throughout the US).

The Rossners visited the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum, the Trouro Synagogue (oldest in the US) and the Newport Art Museum, which featured a show of Japanese art.

I went back for a second dose of boat reconstruction. The name of the boat was (and will be if they ever finish the project) "Coronet" built by C.R. Poillon Yards in Brooklyn NY in 1885. Her vital statistics: 133' on deck, 190' spar length, 27' beam and 12' draft. I visited the Sailing Museum at Fort Adams where her richly carved interior paneling and stained glass windows are being restored and there saw an antique commercial sign for Ratsey & Lapthorn, sailmakers of City Island (their American branch). They made the sails for Coronet and for Americas Cup boats.

I also toured the fort, all abuzz with preparations for a folk festival performance that evening. It was the largest stone fortified fort in the US, built after the British burned Washington DC in the War of 1812, to protect the deepwater port of Newport from any attack by any foreign enemy, by land or sea. It was built by Army engineer Colonel Totten, for whom New York's Fort Totten was posthumously named. The reason it is so large is not related to the strategic importance of Newport relative to New York or Boston, but to "cover" the shape of the peninsula on which it is sited to protect against land assaulfrom the south.

For dinner, Blast with the Rogans and Ilene dined at Sardellos up from the waterfront and actually did not eat fish for one night; Northstar dined at The Mooring on the waterfront; and Sunrise dined aboard.

Day 8 - Saturday, July 31 - Bristol RI

Cool but overcast in the morning after a cool and peaceable night, getting sunny in the PM and COLD in the evening.

Ilene failed to follow its own advice to take advantage of the favorable tide in the morning,  as the other boats did. This was because Ilene, the lady, wanted to visit the Tennis Hall of Fame. I followed Sunrise's advice twice today: First I used Ken Rossner's tip to wrap duck tape around the galley sink aerator to permit the wrenching out of the broken one to use in the hardware store to match it with a new one. Result: a very happy spouse. Thanks Ken! Second, I followed Camille's advice to visit the Newport Art Museum. As a result of our morning dalliance we had to beat up Narragansett Bay against the tide. We cheated -- motor sailing until a wind shift permitted us to sail without tacking the last few miles.

Present here at the Bristol YC are Blast, Sunrise, Northstar and Ilene.

At 17:00 we were entertained by the Roods aboard Vagula, tied up at the Club's deep water dock, with dark and stormys - the Bermudan national drink of ginger beer and Goslings Rum - and snacks. Then the Roods drove most of us in their two cars to Redlefsons restaurant across the Bay, followed by ice cream at Scoops, which we ate on park benches at bayside in the darkness of evening, which was even creamier and tastier than the Jamestown ice cream.

Our pilgrimage to the east is now half complete and we are at our furthest point from home.

Day 9 - Sunday, August 1 - Wickford RI

The cold of last evening warmed up over night and we had a warm sunny day.

All four boats at Bristol, made the short passage to Wickford, a small harbor located on the west coast of Narragansett Bay. Ilene had the pleasure of the company of Hadley Rood, who breakfasted with us and took the helm all the way from Bristol to Wickford. Between these two ports lies Prudence Island, separating the west and east passages of Narragansett Bay. Ilene traversed the west passage by heading to hte west and passing north of Prudence's northern end while others went south in the Bay's East channel before turning west south past this island's eastern shore and turned west south of Prudence. It was rather a toss up which was the better route. With the winds from the south we sailed close hauled except for the westward portion.

Arrival at a dock, the first for some of us since Mattituck, meant a good scrub and rinse for our boats. A walk into town was also on the agenda.

Then it was time for the theme night, Greek style, with appetizers, stuffed grape leaves, olives, salad, green beans, a chicken with onions and green olives dish and fried medalions of pork tenderloin with a rosemary, lemon zest, calamata and garlic red wine sauce. these were washed down with wines including Retsina, and followed with cookies for desert. Quite a feast, put out by our four boats and the Rood family. It was all served on a picnic table on the marina's deck, overlooking our boats.

Day 10 - Monday, Aug 2 - Block Island

Another gorgeous gift of a day; we have been blessed with a lot of good weather.

The Fleet Captain's flag and the Blue Gavel flag of the Fleet Captain Emeritus fly in Block Island tonight. Blast is at Paynes Dock visited by both kids and all the grand kids. Ilene is on a mooring and hanging out with former Harlemites Bruce and Linda Schwartz, who sail their Grand Banks trawler J-Erica from the Huguenot YC in New Rochelle.

The rest of our little fleet is widely dispersed in and about Eastern Long Island Sound. Sunrise is at Mason's Island YC, new home of our PC Tom Lane, on Rally Point's mooring. Northstar is in Essex CT. Frabjous was heading for Guilford where they have friends. And Phat Cat is between the Forks of Long Island.

Most of us will get together again, soon, on the way home, in the Connecticut River, and/or Milford or Huntington. Pas De Deux (Solomons) plan to join us for the last day in Huntington.

Some might say that this dispersal illustrates a failure of our cruising program: that we can't hang onto our cruisers. But the opposite is true. On the Harlem's laissez faire cruises, each boat does what it wants and has fun doing it. Our cruisers have sufficient experience to no longer require the comforting presence of others. The Harlem organizes its cruises to help initiate neophite cruisers. So in a sense we have succeeded when they fly from our nest.

Day 11 - Tuesday, August 3 - Lay day in Block Island

Another beautiful sunny and windy day; but the wind was wasted because today is a lay day.

Regretably, I cannot report on the undubtedly fun adventures of the other cruisers because I am not aware of them. We did stop by at Payne's dock and spotted Blast by her blue and red pennants, but her crew was ashore. So all I can write about today is Ilene's adventures.

She had an adventure in mooring the last two days. Arriving in Block yesterday in the early afternoon we motored slowly back and forth through the boats moored on the chartreuse conical town rental moorings, asking folks who we could see in their cockpits whether they planned to leave soon. Eventually tiring of this, we retired toward the open area for anchoring. But seeing a conveniently located private mooring we took it, temporarily, and remained aboard, able to turn on the engine and detach within a few seconds should the rightful owner return. Shortly before the three PM witching hour we slipped that mooring, motored a few yards into the central channel and called the Harbor Master to seek assignment to a vacant private mooring. He asked us to stand by and a few minutes later directed us to a very nice mooring and came by a few minutes later to collect the $41 fee and to warn us of a $100 towing fee if we were to remain on that mooring after 10 am this morning.

At 7:30 this morning the zigzag game resumed, with renewed hope of capturing a recently vacated mooring -- and frustration mounted. A boat told us that he was leaving in an hour from a town mooring and so we took up a vacant town mooring that had a float attached saying "Occupied", to wait. But the Harbor Master on duty today told us to "GET OFF--That mooring has to be pulled because it drags!" So Lene got into the dink (yes, she can start, stop and drive it) and asked the soon to be departing boat whether she could attach our dink to his bridle, to which he assented. And I continued to circle, until, having observed a moorings maintainer come and attach to the mooring we has been on and drag it this way and that with all his boat's might, he waved his arm signaling me to come near and then told me I could have the mooring which I took. At that time Lene dinked back to me, the boat upon whose departure we had been waiting departed and another boat took his mooring. Back comes the Harbor Master, irately demanding: "DIDN"T I TELL YOU TO GET OFF!!" My tale that his moorings man had successfully tested the mooring, removed the "occupied" float and expressly offered the mooring to me produced a reply that "He does not work for me. GET OFF." I got off and continued to circle, with Lene in the dink, until 9:30 when I spied a vacant mooring and grabbed it quickly.

But moorings are scarce here and how better to allocate a scarce commodity that "first come first served"?

After cleaning and fixing a few things we dinked to Champlin's Marina, which is nearer to our mooring than the Block Island Boat Basin, and rented bikes there for the grand tour of the southern end of the Island with stops at the lookout and Southeast Lighthouse, and to buy a tee shirt, a piece of tuna and some other foodstuffs. We noticed that Deadeye Dicks had reopened next door to the place that had been shuttered last summer; sign of an improving economy?

We dined aboard J-Erica. The Schwartz family had dug several dozen delicious very clean sweet clams to go with the linguine; and the tuna and Aldo's blueberry pie were other highlights of a very pleasant dinner.

Day 12 - August 4 - New London CT

Blast remained in Block Island for a third day and will join Northstar, which is in Essex CT tomorrow. Also rejoining there tomorrow will be Sunrise, coming over from Greenport and Ilene, coming from New London, where we are spending tonight on a town mooring ($35/night; no amenities or launch service) right in the heart of the city with all of the disadvantages (Amtrak station is very nearby) and advantages of a central location.

Our passage from Block was entirely on a port tack, starting as a close reach and becoming close hauled after entering Fishers Island Sound and then a broad reach up the Thames River. The wind had howled last night in Block but had died to about ten knots when we left, building to 20. We sailed under main and small jib. We left our mooring in Block at 9:00 am and got here at about 2:00. It was mostly overcast with glimpses of sun until we got into the thames and the sun came out more fully.

The town, once a proud shipping and commercial center suffers badly form urban blight. It is across the River from Groton which benefitted from the submarine manufacturing business and the submarine base.

On the other side of the dock to which we drove our dinghy 100 feet to land, is Peacemaker, a wooden ship built in 1989, although it looks like it was built a 100 years earlier, in Brazil but currently operated by "The Twelve Tribes" a group which seeks to "restore the church to its early days". This reminded me of Coronet, being resored in Newport. For the last 90 of its years before restoration began it too was owned by a religious group. Peacemaker calls itself a barquentine, with three masts, the foremast only a few feet lower than the main and mizzen, which are of equal height. The masts are metal. Three jibs lead from the foremast which is rigged with two spars for square rigger sails, but the poles are bare. A staysail fills the gap between the foremast and the main. The two aft masts have gaff rigged fore and aft sails. She is 150' long overall, 124' on deck and 108' at the waterline with a beam of 33' and a draft of 14'. She displces 380 tons and boasts 10,000 square feet of sail with the tallest mast 236 feet above the waterline. We toured the ship. She plans to depart tomorrow at 6:30 after three weeks here in New London, for Salem MA.

After dinner aboard I noticed a theatrical production in preparation on the same dock. It was the free dress rehearsal of the Flock Theater Company's production of Shakespeare's "The Tempest". They used puppets held aloft by teams of black robed and hooded puppeteers for Ariel and Caliban. The play was presented in only two acts and in two hours and the actors did not let the trains sounds interrupt their work. It was fun.

Day 13 – Thursday, August 5 – Essex CT

Finally some rain; torrents in New London before we left and again in Essex after we arrived. The former storm was announced by thunder and lightning but not accompanied by strong winds. And very little wind en route, so while our sails were up, today was a motoring day and a hot day. We are on a mooring in the Connecticut River here at one Brewers yard; Northstar, Sunrise and Blast are at slips in a nearby different Brewers yard.

Two days ago Sunrise spent the night on the mooring of PC Tom Lane at the Masons Island Yacht Club, and the Rossners dinked in to Mystic for pizza, but not Mystic Pizza. These are the same people who dinked in to the town of Port Jefferson – our long distance dinkers. And Camille Rossner also hikes in Nepal! Last night they were in Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island after a very tough trip from Masons Island to Shelter Island; the same wind that made Ilene’s trip west fun made Sunrise’s trip south grueling.

In Coecles Harbor Sunrise met Electric Ladyland (Dave Volkman). Electric Ladyland had hoped to join our cruise in Block, but was waylaid by a defective water pump in Coecles.

Northstar is spending their third night here in Essex, enjoying the marina’s top rate swimming pool. Blast got here after us at the end of a long trip from Block.

We jumped into the River and I cleaned Ilene’s bottom to the depth of the length of my arm.

Most of us enjoyed a good dinner at the historic Griswold Inn.

Day 14 – Friday August 6 – Milford CT

Another beautiful day though clouds appeared in the afternoon and we did feel about ten drops of rain –literally ten – not enough to close hatches and ports for.

All four of our boats made their way to Milford today from Essex – our longest planned sail, over 40 miles. The sailors had to motorsail to keep the travel time short, though the wind came up to 20 knots for the last hour. Ilene left Essex at 11 and tied up to the dock in Milford at 4:30. Sunrise took longer at each end.

Northstar had a sweet nostalgic surprise in Milford: spotting Evergreen, the 1984, 27 foot Cal which they had sold before they bought Sugar Free - still green and still named Evergreen. Northstar has developed into our first-to-arrive boat in each port.

Frabjous rejoined us having been detached since Newport, but they were at the Milford YC while we went further into the cove and stayed at Milford Landing Marina, so we did not see them.

Ilene is next to a fishing boat which attracted the attention of Alpha Girl, our female cat, who leapt, boat to boat, as we were coming into our slip. This was after jumping from the dodger to the top of the stack pack, scampering along it forward to the mast and hiding in the furled stack pack as we approached the marina.

We enjoyed wine and snacks aboard Blast and the company of the Rogans (Something Special). Then Stu Rogan PC drove Barbara and the crews of Blast and Ilene to a highly recommended Chinese restaurant slightly more than two miles from the waterfront. Good and innovative food at a good price with friendly helpful wait staff. Is Chinese a first for a Harlem Cruise? And ice cream, of course, at the shack behind the Marina, for a nightcap.

Day 15 – Saturday, August 7 – Huntington Harbor

Yet another glorious warm sunny day, but wind too light to sail without motoring.

Sunrise detached and went to the Norwalk YC. The other three boats were rejoined by Frabjous and their guests Joe and Goldie and by Pas de Deux (Solomons). The Frabjous crew told us of their adventures, including having met Electric Ladyland and having seen Phat Cat in Huntington before we arrived. 

We spent the afternoon in and around the Huntington Yacht Club’s pool and all dined together in their dining room – biggest portions you ever saw and good too. They set up an oval table for all 12 of us.

Day 16 – Sunday, August 8 – City Island

The cruise is over; all boats returned to port safely except for Pas de Deux, who may return safely but wanted to stay out an extra day at the American Yacht Club in Rye.

The wind was strange: the weatherman predicted little, but leaving Huntington Bay there was a lot, from the south, promising a nice port beam reach home. No sooner had we turned the corner but it died, only to come back, but light, from the north, which later switched back to the south before coming from the east, presenting a beat for the last few miles, into strong winds.

Ilene left Huntington after another pancake breakfast with Sunrise and Pas de Deux (thanks to supplemental syrup provided by Blast), at 10 am, and with about an hour of motoring in the light wind spots, reached the home mooring at 4.

Altogether nine Harlem boats participated on interacted out east with participating Harlem boats (Blast, Electric Ladyland, Ilene, Kerry Ann, Northstar, Pas de Deux, Phat Cat, Sunrise and Tively) plus the crew of a tenth (Pretty Special) and two boats of former members (J-Erica and Vagula).